Thursday, November 20, 2014

Ships Wheel Mirror with CeCe Caldwell's Paints and Glaze

Another paint related post today.
Yea!!

I bought this mirrored ships wheel a few weeks ago.


The moment I saw it I knew just what I wanted to do with it.
Paint it.
No kidding you say?

Actually I had a specific look in mind but as I started working on it, it just didn't look right.
It ultimately morphed as puttered with it but it started out just plain blah.
But I'm getting ahead of myself here.

First off, I discovered it's actually a little older than I thought it was.
I assumed it was ??? 70's era ????
But this stamp was on the back.
1944
I would have never guessed it.


So anyway, back to the painting issue.
I started out painting it with CeCe Caldwell's Newport Navy.
You'll have to take my word that it looked plain because I don't have a picture.

I layered on CeCe Caldwell's Simply White and distressed it back somewhat and added CeCe Caldwell's Dark Aging Wax in a few areas.

Again, something was missing.
Again, you'll have to take my word for it because...no picture.

After fussing and fuming over it for a few days the light bulb finally went off.
Tinted Glaze.
I chose CeCe Caldwell's Destin Gulf Green to tint CeCe Caldwell's Clear Glaze.
I brushed that all over and rubbed it away as I went along and, wow, what a difference.


Then I hot glued this rope around the edge of the mirror.


Don't mind the blurred out look on the mirror.
There was so much stuff reflected in it from across the room, it looked really crappy and I figured my crappy photography was as much crappy as one picture could take.


My close up shots show the detail much better anyway.


Nice.









No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...