Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Shut the Front Door ... Day 71 ... 20th Anniversary of the Blizzard of '93

This is what was going on in my neighborhood 20 years ago today.
(Photo credit to Ben Simons of Steuben)
We were under siege by the famous Blizzard of '93.
 
I'm not sure of the exact totals our area actually received (4 maybe 5 ft) but the biggest problem was the snow drifts. As you can see in the picture above, the wing of the plow is extended up as high as it will go (which is about 12-14ft off the ground at the tip) and it just touches the top of the drift.
My husband spent 3 days in that plow trying to bust through all the plugged roads in our town. He was one tired, miserable person by the time it was all said and done.
For those of us (yea, I'll include myself in this just for kicks) who aren't old enough to remember the "wayyyyy back when" stuff, my grandfather used to say that this was just a good ole' fashioned winter.
Of course, every year when the month of May rolled around, he would also talk about the year he got stuck with the school bus in a snow drift on this same hill
For the life of me, I can't remember what year he said that was. If anyone reading this from the Remsen/Steuben area can remember, fill me in please.
This was in May, for cripes sake, not March. I guess that's where I get my reluctance to believe that winter is over with at the first sign of a robin hopping across the yard (which I actually saw my first robin yesterday).
Of course, I remember a few years when our school bus driver got a little too close to the edge of the road and the soft shoulders (the sludge of March most likely) just sucked the bus in which caused it to calmly lay over on it's side.
Yep, the whole bus just rolled over like a dog wanting it's belly scratched.
All of us kids had to be evacuated to another bus to finish the rides home (actually, I believe the 2nd time it happened we were on our way to school not home).
Not everyone can say they lived through not one but two bus rollover accidents and lived to cry tell about it.



So,
Day 71
Started out rainy (very rainy) then turned to a rain/snow mix.
 
Then turned to snow which lasted about 2 hours.
Not exactly one for the blizzard record books.
But that's ok with me.
I can do without another record breaking storm right now.
 
 

No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...