Saturday, January 19, 2013

Shut the Front Door ... Day 19 ... When spammers attack

I've been blogging now since Jan 6th 2012. So for just over a year now, I've been a source of entertainment to recon with (in my mind anyway).
In this past year, I have racked up 9437 page views throughout the 85 posts I have written.
Personally, I think that's pretty impressive since I really have no clue what I'm doing.
I'll admit that no small part of that view count is from spammers. Once they find you, you're infested with them. My spam folder contains all sorts of comments and most of the content is... "jibberish, blah, blah, blah, jibberish ... check out my website". The comment has little to no association with the post that was written.
I delete these comments because they are just trying to pull people who actually read my post to their website/virus. I think you all (my actual readers) deserve better than that.

Today I received a comment that was pretty much just what I described above but what made this comment different was not just that it was legible, it actually attacked my superior writing technique (go ahead, laugh..I deserve that).

This is the comment from Anonymous  ...

I believe everything published was very logical. However, consider this, suppose you were to write a awesome headline? I ain’t saying your information isn’t solid., however suppose you added a headline that makes people want more? I mean “Shut the Front Door … Day 16 … A heart attack waiting to happen and Raspberry hair.” is kinda plain. You should look at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they create post titles to get viewers to click. You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to grab readers excited about what you’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it would make your posts a little bit more interesting.

Are they serious? They are comparing my headlines to that of Yahoo?
I've seen Yahoo's headlines.
Today's included the headline, "How to make perfect microwave popcorn at home".
Yea, I'm on the edge of my seat for sure.

How on earth can they honestly say that my headline was plain?
It was brilliant (ok...it was interesting...kinda).
Who wouldn't read, "A heart attack waiting to happen and Raspberry hair", and not dive into that post wanting to hear more? Huh? Who?
And...if they actually looked at the post they would have seen a few really eye-grabbing pictures too.

Phisssshh... just kinda gets my goat.

Anywhoooo...

Day 19

Sunrise this morning was pretty.

I just couldn't help doing a little drive by photography tonight while heading into the city. The sunset was beautiful.




If you're interested in drive by photography (or don't have a clue what it is), you can read more about it in this post that I wrote last summer titled "Drive by Photography". How's that for an attention grabbing headline?

No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...