There once was a toy box.
An abused, neglected, and forgotten toy box.
The cover was broken in half and there was crayon all over.
It was dirty and full of creepy crawlies.
Something oily was spilled all over the bottom (which wasn't even real wood).
The first thing I did was rip this out and throw it in the fire pit.
There was a bit of a chip missing from the bottom back side panel
(which I didn't end up fixing I just left it that way and painted it.).
And there was a big gob of tar stuck to the side.
But it was only $10 bucks so I loaded it up and drove away.
I know, I know.
$10 bucks for that?
But I saw potential here.
I glued the cover back together
and filled the seam in with some wood filler.
I thought for a little while about how I wanted to put this back together.
I needed to replace the bottom with something
(because that's what happens when you burn the nasty bottom it came with).
I decided that I would remove the front panel,
use that for the new top
(because, frankly, I didn't really trust my glue job to actually hold a persons weight),
and use the, once broken, now repaired, top as a bottom.
Got all that?
I broke one of the sides while trying to remove the front panel.
Don't worry....I can fix that...maybe.
with the broken side back together and the broken top back together,
I decided to make sure that all the pieces were going to fit where I wanted them.
The front is now the top
The top is now the bottom.
I wanted a little more support along the front
so I added a strip of 1x3 under the front of the seat.
I sanded and stained the piece that is the new top.
And I painted the rest with CeCe Caldwell's Vermont Slate.
those mistakes that work, I think it turned out nice.
I think it would look great with a few baskets under the seat for mittens n' such.
The days of abuse and neglect are now a distant memory.