Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Great Train Wreck in Boonville NY July 4,1908...Who Knew?

In the process of sorting through many, many postcards and letters that my grandmother saved over the years, I came across this one about a train wreck that happened in Boonville, NY in 1908.

I believe the photographer was H.M. Beach of Remsen, NY


The northbound Thousand Island Special collided just north of Boonville with the southbound Freight Train #90. Six people were killed and several more injured.

I've lived here my whole life (all 50 years of it) and never once heard of this fascinating piece of our local history. Learn something new every day.

Anyway, if train wrecks and/or local history are your thing, you can read more in a great article written by Larry Myers,  Boonville, New York, in Postcards, or you can visit this article at The Oneida County Historical Society.

No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...