Saturday, December 15, 2012

The back 40, a frozen pond, and an over protective dog

I took a walk out back this afternoon.
Between finally feeling a little better (from my 3rd round with a really crappy cold) and just needing some fresh air, I grabbed my camera and went outside.
 
This path runs out behind my house, under the power lines and on up into the woods bordering the state land.
Can't even tell it's the middle of December.
There's barely a dusting of snow on the ground. 
 
Once you go through the pass in the woods, you come out under the power lines. 
 
Yea, these giant crappy things run through my property.
They are unsightly and noisy.
There is always a crackling noise coming from them.
When there is a lot of moisture in the air, like during the winter when it's snowing really hard, the crackling noise turns into a very loud, constant humming sound.
A sound so loud, it can be heard inside the house while the windows are shut. 
You can see from the pictures above, I have to walk a ways from my house to get to them so my house is not that close, but the sound will actually wake you up from a sound sleep.
 
Anyway, once you get out under the power lines, this is the view to the north toward Boonville.
The big towers (that run from Canada to NY City) are NY State Power Authority and the little towers are National Grid.
 
This is the view looking south toward Utica.
Yep, that's my husband down there trying to clean up the mess the power people left.
There used to be a hedge row of tall trees running between the big towers and the small towers.
It was decided that those trees could no longer be there, so they were all cut down.
 
Now we're left to clean up the mess.
Nothing new.
 
I got a riddle for ya.
What's brown and black... 
 
and ready to trip you...
 
at each and every....
 
step?
 
A herding dog that insists on getting between you and whatever she's afraid of.
Gabby (Australian Shepherd and German Shepherd) does not like the big equipment.
She's right under my feet whenever I'm trying to walk toward the machinery.
She will actually push backward on my legs if the machine is heading in my direction.
She even sat on my feet once as if that would make me stay away from it.
I just think it's funny how she will put herself in between me and the monster.
Brave dog.
 
We are trying to figure out what ripped the bark off this tree.
Porcupine, bear, deer???
Your guess is as good as mine.
 
Milkweed. 
 
Some fluffy weed?? 
 
Cattails frozen in the pond. 
 
The pond behind the house. 
Can't tell here but there is a good layer of ice over the water already. 
There may not be any snow but it has been cold.
 
Bravery must make you thirsty.
 
Well, I've procrastinated long enough, better get back and clean the house.
Clean.
Funny.
I must be a comedian.

No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...