Monday, October 15, 2012

Solar Light Obsession

I have a new obsession.

Solar Lights.

You know...those cheap-o little solar lights you can get in just about any store.

 
 
I posted about this solar light/basket makeover earlier this summer.
 
I can't seem to look at a sconce or other object that's really meant to hold candles without thinking "That would make a great solar light instead".
 
For this interesting (well, maybe not all that interesting) piece, I decided I wanted to make something for fall.
 


It only cost me $1 at a garage sale. It was dusty and had a slightly vintage 'ish' decor thing going on.


The lady I bought it from said that it was made in Spain. Which that's exactly what was written on the back. I'm a bit skeptical but it really didn't matter.

 
I primed it because I really didn't want that green color showing through the yellow (Krylon Sun Yellow) that I originally wanted to paint it with.
 


For anyone who hasn't read many of my previous posts, I love yellow. I seem to find a way to incorporate it into more than a few of my projects and I really liked the way it looked here.
But...Once I had it painted and I attached the solar lamp that I wanted to use, I decided that I really didn't like the combination of colors. I didn't like it so much that I didn't even take a picture of it.


You see, bright sunny yellow and this amber mosaic glass just didn't mix. I have no idea what I was thinking.

 
So, I went to my next favorite color, orange (Valspar Satin La Fonda Copper).
 

I took the black pipe off the bottom of the solar light, used a small hack saw to remove the small end of the light that fits into the pipe (because it was just a little to tall to fit into the space for candles), and glued it into place.
(you can tell I did this step before I decided to paint it orange because I had to wrap a plastic bag around the light before I painted it...foolish me...never glue until you're sure).


I have a pretty fall themed solar light instead of a funky green, made in Spain, sconce.


Now I have to find a good place to hang it up.


Maybe not. I kinda like the way it looks in my plant.

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...