Thursday, August 9, 2012

Blogging Absence, My Family Tree, and Project Life

I've been very lax about blogging lately because I've been busy over the past month trying to help my mother clean out my grandparents home.
We've been sorting, stashing, selling, and gifting. My grandparents already divided their house in a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio. They were living in 1/3 of the house and have been renting out the other 2/3 for years. Somehow they managed to jam pack their small 1/3 of the home with so much stuff over the years. It's just unbelievable.

Under the mountains of old mail, letters, notes, financial papers, recipe books, craft/sewing/embroidery books, and stamp collections, there lurked loads of old pictures and newspaper clippings. While looking through it all I realized that I really don't know anything about my ancestors. It's actually a sad realization and one I'm not particularly proud of. I guess when we are young we just assume that our grandparents (and the wealth of knowledge they contain) are always going to be around.

I've become a member of Ancestry.com (this is in no way a sponsored post) and am now in the process of searching through my families roots. I'm not looking to discover an important or prominent person in my history (although that would be cool to discover), I just want to know my ancestors names, learn where they came from and what years/centuries did they live in. So far, it's been a pretty fascinating journey. It's a super-time-sucker but I would recommend everyone give it a try.

These are just a few photos and interesting discoveries I've made so far.

My grandfather, Rudolph Roscup, on the tractor that tried to run him down once.
Taken in 1939 by unknown photographer.

This is my parents wedding picture taken in July 1960 with my grandparents.
From left to right: Thea Bretheuer-Landman-Abbey, Eleanora Roberts-Roscup, Harry Landman, Betty Roscup-Landman, Arrie (aka Harry) Landman, Rudolph Roscup.
Photographer unknown.

This is my parents wedding picture taken with my great-grandparents.
From left to right: Unknown name (Arrie Landman's step mother - possibly Helen), Frederick Bretheuer, Gretchen Wulff-Bretheuer, Harry Landman, Betty Roscup-Landman, Ethel Caldwell-Roberts. I'm working on a name for the above unknown.
Photographer unknown (very possibly my grandmother, Eleanora).

This is one of the many mysteries found in the photographs.
 We thought it was my grandmother's baby picture but the date underneath is Apr 21, 1854 or 57 which would be more of my great-great-grandmothers age.
Photographer unknown.

This is another mystery picture.
We have no date to go by and no idea who this family is (so far). I think there is a striking resemblance between the baby in this picture and the picture above???
Again, photographer unknown.

I'm also guilty of having box loads of pictures that I've taken over the years. Many are unmarked and have no dates (seriously bad thing). I actually have a lot of guilt that my kids are going to have to spend time one day sorting through it all. I really don't want them having to wonder what year they were taken and who is in the pictures.

I've read about a new organizing system called Project Life. I'm not much into scrapbooking but I think this is a very cool way to keep a picture journal for you and your family to look back on for years. Sure beats a box of unmarked photographs. And, you just don't get the same feeling from looking at pictures on the computer that you do when flipping through an old book. SD cards have nothing on plain old pictures you can hold in your hands.
You can read more about Project Life in a great post written by Natalie at My Sister's Suitcase.

Although, I do believe there are a few pictures that should remain buried among the ruins.


This one of myself and my husband in 1978 (3 yrs before we were married) for example.
What's your guess? Hippies or rednecks?
Photographic credit goes to my grandmother for this one.








1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    I am in the process of going through family possessions and history myself. I am recording all information and stories my mother can recall. Please keep us updated on your experience using Ancestry.com. I am going to read more about Project Life.
    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog!