Friday, June 15, 2012

projects-in-progress

I haven't written a post again in a little bit and I'm feeling somewhat guilty about it. I don't know why.
I'll have to think about that I guess.
Nah.
Anyway, I've actually been pretty busy with several large furniture re-do's. For some reason I don't feel I can post about a project that isn't finished. I know many bloggers post about works-in-progress all the time so here goes.

First of all, I found this really cute fold-top table. It was sitting beside the road along with a pile of other free junk that was left over from a garage sale. There is a small black stain on the top, really crappy plastic casters underneath, one broken braket for the folding leaf, and overall, it was really wobbly from loose screws.
I'm still trying to figure out what I really want to do with it.



I picked up this bench for $10 at a garage sale. The hinged top was broken in half across the length of the bench, the bottom (which was nothing more than a pressed cardboard material) was all warped and had a huge glob of black gooey, paint in the middle, there was coloring and stickers all over the inside.
I do have a clue what I want to do with this.
Surprised?
Me too as I've never really been accused of having a clue.



This entertainment center is (with the exception of the backing) all nice heavy wood and thankfully is on very easy rolling casters. I forgot to take a picture of it before I primed it. It was a light blond color wood. This too was a $10 score. Gotta love it.
I'm trying to go with a new trend here by turning it into a child's amoire.



This beautiful piece of furniture is a solid wood roll top desk sold by Montgomery Wards. Not exactly an antique but somewhat vintage (purchased in the early 70's) and in almost perfect condition.
My son-in-law answered a Craigslist ad for a power washer and while there purchasing said washer, the seller asked him if he would have a use for this desk.
Can you say FREEE!!!
Needless to say my son-in-law made my day.
Love it.


This cute little stand was my in my grandmother's entryway for many, many years. It has some issues with the top (chipped edges and peeling layers). Other than that, the only problem I'm having with it is the old paint. There are several layers of thick, gloppy, old paint that just melt when I try sanding them down.
So I'm still working on a solution to that.


The next two pictures are the headboard and footboard of a very old metal bed. Someone put some funky looking contact paper on them (probably my grandmother as the-method-to-her-madness was, if you don't like it cover it with wall paper or contact paper).
I'm thinking more on the terms of spray paint for the-method-to-my-madness cover up.



This next item was my headboard when I was young (I'll be 50 this summer so that tells you it's pushing vintage as well).
I'm not sure where my mother got it from but it originally had a pink quilted fabric which I removed (about 35 years ago) to find this fabric.
The filagree trim around the edges is in questionable condition but the larger emblem pieces on the corners and centers are still mostly intact.


This jumbled up mess is my grandmother's bedroom set. It consists of a tall dresser, a chest of drawers with a large mirror, one nightstand, and a bookcase headboard with sliding doors. I was in a hurry to get it inside because it was starting to rain so I didn't have time to take better pictures. This set was given to my grandparents second-hand back in the early1950's so it's been around for a little while.

I picked up these cute little chairs from a garage sale about 28 years ago when my kids were small. Money was very tight back then (like anything has really changed in the $ dept) so I'm sure I didn't pay more than a few dollars for them.



This little folding kids chair is an antique I'm sure. They just don't make chairs like this for kids, much less adults, anymore.
It is very well made and, with the exception of that dark round stain on the seat, in perfect condition.
I would like to find a way to remove that stain without harming or changing the seat but I don't think that's going to be possible. I would really like to keep it just the way it is.



I'm not sure what to do with this night stand. It was just another piece of random furniture in my grandmother's collection of stuff. 


This is a highchair I used for my kids but I can't remember for the life of me where I got it from. I never had the dropdown tray that attached to the back over the arms so it was used more as a booster type seat at the table. You can tell from the picture that the paint is already quite chipped but what you can't see is that it also has globs of oily residue all over it. I'm sure I didn't put it away covered in yuck so I'm not sure how it got that way.



Believe it or not, I have a few more pieces of furniture that I have to take pictures of. I have a lot to keep me busy this summer and summer goes by way too fast so getting it all done is going to be a challenge.
With many of these pieces, I am really at a loss as to what I want to do with them. Refinish, paint, keep, sell.....many decisions to be made.

What would you do with these? Suggestions anyone?




1 comment:

  1. The first step toward success is taken when you refuse sto be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself. Check my site also if you have time, I had a great time reading your article.
    gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog!