Sunday, May 13, 2012

New "Dummies" book and a Mother's Day planter

Well I went out and bought Google Blogger For Dummies by Susan Gunelius. I'm on chapter 4 already so in about a month I may actually be able to say that I know what I'm doing. Ha! Like I'll ever be accused of that.



It's Mother's day.
I decided I needed to do something a little different this year (aka...I needed to find a gift that my brother can't top because we are competitive that way).


I have this chair. It was inherited from my mother in law about 6 years ago and it has migrated from room to room in my home as it was needed or unwanted. It doesn't match anything in my home at all and it was....well, boring. I don't even think it's real wood. Looking at it will put you to sleep faster than sitting on it will.
So....I took it apart.


I removed at least a thousand staples from under that thing.
And... after several bandaids, a layer of brown blahhhh drabbiness fabric, a layer of mustard yellow disaster fabric, and one seriously stuck on foam pad, I have a clean pressed fiber board seat. A seat which needed the right tools to achieve a beautifully perfect circle cut in the middle.
I do not possess such a tool.


Several hours, several miscellaneous tools with serrated blades, one almost burned out sander, primer and a few coats of paint later, and wa-la!


Not too shabby if I do say so myself.
Anyhoo...I primed the chair (using Kilz Premium), painted it (using Color Place Exterior Semi Gloss in Festive Jupiter Orange and Sunlit Tulip), and added a really nice flower arrangement I bought from our neighbors who own Heywood's Greenhouse. You can find them on Facebook here... https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Heywoods-Greenhouse/265934435803.
I think it came out pretty good.


My mother really liked it (I gave it to her Saturday because I just couldn't wait until Sunday).
I have yet to hear what my brother had to say.


I owe the inspiration for this project to My Sister's Suitcase: Spring Planter from a Thrifty Old Chair.
This is the very first time I put a link in my blog to a post on another blog. I hope I did this correctly and I sincerely apologize if I did not.

No comments:

Speak Your Mind...

Speak Your Mind...